Archives: [f] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [news / qst] [trash] Boards: [meta]
/b/stats 2.0: beta edition
since 27 Jan 2013
Please send questions/comments/spam/death threats/love letters to webmaster (at) b-stats.org
All times EST/EDT
Active development is on GitHub

Thread #244246
View on 4chan

Replies 47 (47)
Image Replies 0 (0)
Lifetime 3d 18h 51m 28s
Deleted Posts 0
https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending-now/teacher-presses-charges-after-autistic-8yearold-punches-her-police-say/729452546

>An autistic 8-year-old boy is facing a battery charge after his special education teacher filed a police report after he punched her, according to reports.

>Police said the student hit the teacher in the face when she tried to take an iPad away from him, according to KRQE.

>“I was not made aware that a police report had been filed against D.J.," the boy’s mother Maria McKay told KRQE. "Very shocking. Definitely was not prepared for a missed phone call from juvenile probation that my 8-year-old autistic child had failed to appear for a scheduled meeting. I called back and assured him there was a mistake.”

>Turns out it was not an error.

>"There was an incident in early March where a 2nd-grade student punched a staff member,” school officials said in a statement. “We cannot speak to student or personnel matters, but I can say that the school did not initiate the police report. In addition, we cannot prevent a staff member from personally filing a report. That is his or her right."

>McKay said her son’s actions were not right but thinks the teacher should have handled the situation better.

>"When he is in an environment that's really loud he starts wailing hands and he has hit in the past,” she said. “We've talked about it's not OK to hit people and we need to come up with ways to better communicate with each other because hitting is not OK. He does understand that after the fact but he doesn't understand that in that situation.”

>Her son did not go to school last week and likely will stay out of the classroom as his case navigates the legal system, according to KRQE.

>“I just felt this is not an environment that my son should return to,” McKay said. “He now has to appear at juvenile probation next week for an appointment. He is absolutely terrified.”
>>
>>244246
Using the legal system to punish an autistic kid -- without informing the parents or administrators or citing sci literature on autism education -- is a pretty fucking autistic thing for a teacher to do.
>>
>>244246
>When he is in an environment that's really loud he starts wailing hands and he has hit in the past
Reeeeeeeeee I'm spanking my kids. This is some serious horseshit. They've no idea how retarded they themselves are
>>
>>244259
This. She should be prepared to resolve situations like this as a special ed teacher, because not every student is going to be as nice as Forrest Gump. As someone who's dealt with special ed kids myself, physical violence comes with the territory.
>>
>>244269
>>244259
Expecting any teacher to be OK with being physically hit is retarded.
>>
>>244274
I teach english in Tokyo to kids ranging from less than a year old to 12ish, its a rare day that I don't get hit at least once by a shitkid. The only retard I've ever taught full force punches teachers for laughs. It's kind of expected for kids to be too dumb not to be completely trained on that sort of shit before puberty. Anybody who actually does anything more than say ow is a fucking pussy, it's a child ffs.
>>
>>244259
>without informing the parents
I guarantee you the parents were informed. The parents are just those type of people that don't think there should be consequences. That's why their "autistic" child is out of control, and why they IGNORED the summons. There are too many parents these days that refuse to discipline their children, and when their kids start turning into violent miscreants, they shop for a doctor who will give a diagnosis of "somewhere on the autism spectrum" which absolves the parents of blame. Nothing is fixed.
>>
>>244275
>It's kind of expected for kids to be too dumb not to be completely trained on that sort of shit before puberty
Holy @#$%, are you kidding me? Not to be completely trained not to hit? Especially hit other adults? What the hell is wrong with your generation?
>>
>>244277
I'm not saying you just ignore the hit, you discipline the kid and move on, taking legal action and actually acting like an absolute puss about a child hitting you is ridiculous. Litigation against a child, let alone a retarded child, is absurd. The fuck kind of drama queen generation are you born from?
>>
>>244284
One that FEEDS on suffering.

Now, bring me more children to sue.
>>
>>244274
>>244277
Someone who is trained to work with autistic children signed up to work with autistic children and is suing an autistic child for something autistic children do if you are around them enough. You dont encourage the behavior but its literally in your job description that the little tards get violent

>>244275
>Anybody who actually does anything more than say ow is a fucking pussy
I can guarantee it was a 5'2, 90 lb woman. When I was working for the RCIL every able bodied man was pulling double overtime taking care of adults ranging from "needs a ride to walmart" to "come by every other day to clean the shit off the walls/ceiling." The glut of women looking to take care of children were approaching 1:1 levels of care.
>>
>>244274
I'm not demanding teachers should take it lying down, I'm demanding that they man up and discipline the kid themselves instead of calling the cops to do their work for them. If you're calling yourself an educator, then educate you shall.

Don't want to deal with special kids and the higher standard of responsibility that comes with the job? Don't take the job in the first place.
>>
>>244290
How do you effectively discipline a severely autistic child?
>>
>>244293
I guarantee suing them isn't an effective method.
>>
>>244293
You dont. Autism is a spectrum of disorders, half the crazy shit they do isnt something they choose to do. This kid flails uncontrollably at loud noises which sounds like he is at least a medium autistic. The best we can hope for is to contain him to a room in the school.
>>
>>244293
Electroshock treatment
>>
>>244276
It's like this kids with "cerebral palsy" or "downs syndrome"
just bad parents making up illness amirite
>>
>>244276
You dont shop around for autism, you shop around for vague diseases with behavior fixing pills like ADHD or bipolar. Autism has a defined guideline and going to special ed typically wrecks the future of the child.
>>
>>244298
Why even send him to school if he needs to be kept in solitary all day? Just give him an iPad and lock him a room away from society. If the child is so far gone they can't be trained not to flail around violently, it seems kind of pointless to pay a teacher to watch them.
>>
>>244274
AN
EIGHT
YEAR
OLD
even if he wasn't autistic, it would be fucked up to press charges, but to press charges on a child with autism is beyond stupid
As a special education teacher youre supposed to know and expect shit to hit the fan sometimes. Obviously the child should be punished, shouldn't be fucking around with an ipad at school or hitting adults. But legal charges are way too far, I mean hes barely old enough to have even developed Abstract Thinking, thats like age 7 isnt it?
>>
>>244277
Shut the fuck up /pol/tard your probably 15
>>
>>244570
Because everyone deseeves an education, and after NCLB even the severely retarded can graduate on honor roll.
>>
we can't do anything about 7ft roided up niggers putting a teacher in a coma, but we can make an example out of this 8yo with autism!
>>
>>244599
>Everyone deserves an education
No, they don't. State funded education is a contract between the child and society. Society funds the child's education so long as the child can exceed the educational requirements necessary to be a functioning member of society. By virtue of being in special education, these children have already been deemed incapable of surpassing these goals and should not be funded with tax payer money.
>>
>>244590

well, he might be a nigger or something. that changes things
>>
>>244658
t. doesn't know anything about special education

The whole point is to get these kids as far as their capabilities will take them. That means off the streets, out of mental institutions and prisons, where they are causing a negative impact on society (the place where they inevitably end up without education), and into a place where they can feel useful and respected, and function in society. With an education, they will be able to do something with their life, even if it's as simple as living in a group home and doing menial labour for community groups.
>>
This shit is crazy. When I was a kid if some little shit hit a teacher he'd have been frog marched to the principal's office and then had his ass beat by one of his parents who had been called in from work to come get him. We also kept the retards in their own classrooms away from normal kids, and LD kids had special time throughout the day to go to dumb-dumb classes to learn all about how not to be an asshole. Kids with what would be identified today as minor autism learned how to deal because nobody had time to waste on fragile egos. And that's what the ultimate product of the changes in teaching methodology initiated by Baby Boomer teachers and administrators has resulted in, an epidemic of fragile egos. When I was a kid half of our teachers were still old enough to remember WWII. The hippies were just breaking into the system so they were all younger teachers still constrained by older teachers with seniority and in the administration. Once Boomers got into power they began "mainstreaming", which means putting full on retards into regular classes to drool, moan, and pound on desks while regular kids are trying to learn math and such. The Boomers started all this nonsense about self-esteem and participation awards. The Boomers pushed for medicating children into weird little addicts. The Boomers pushed the narrative that violent kids were just misunderstood and failed to establish discipline at a young age. What the Boomers planted in the ranks of the Millennials has grown into today's mess.

God I hate Boomers. The country is going to burn down around our ears because of them, but by the time it really starts to fall apart those assholes will be dead, having spent three generations worth of tax money to make their lives comfortable.
>>
>>244274
t. disgruntled tard-wrangler
>>
>>244246
Why do they keep the retards with the normal kids?
All the fucking tards went to special ed. Where a special ed teacher who knew he was probably gonna get bit and kicked like he was in a horse barn was there to handle them.
Then when it was time for recess, the tards were unleashed.
>>
>>244684
But do we need people to do those jobs, or are we just scraping the bottom of the barrel to find things to for them to do? What do we do when it is no longer viable to give them jobs due to automation?
>>
>>244690
This. Why did the kid have an iPad out at school anyway? School is for learning, not for fucking around on whatever the kid was doing. I remember when there were no handheld electronic devices in schools. People have been taught just fine without them for years. And had the teacher hit the kid in the face, you bet your fucking ass there would be charges pressed and lawsuit filed. But no, its ok when the kid does it because they get a fucking pass because they are "on the spectrum". Fuck that shit, kid needs his ass beat by his parents with a belt or some shit until they behave.
>>
Call me an edgelord if you will, but the severely retarded should be euthanized or at least kept in asylums where society never has to see them.
>>
>>244774
They used to be. But we've made "progress" since then, and now it would be "wrong" to do that. Asylums used to house the mentally retarded, insane, poor and other societal undesirables, but then "reform" happened and those places were more or less all shut down. That has put the burden that they used to shoulder back on either the families, or more commonly, the public,
>>
>>244246
>Police said the student hit the teacher in the face when she tried to take an iPad away from him, according to KRQE.

50 year old here, and this kinda shit didn’t happen back in the day with either retarded or normal kids, when the teachers could hit the kids and the kids got hit again at home by the parents.
>>
>>244769
>What do we do when it is no longer viable to give them jobs due to automation?
Cow feed, obviously.
>>
All the edgelords saying he should be treated no differently because he has autism, I kind of hope you have a severely autistic kid some day and understand how hard it can be to reign in these kids urges. Autism doesn't just mean r9k in everycase.
>>
>>244246
How do I know if I have autism and does it matter?
>>
>>244773
Some schools have electronic devices or laptops to use for assignments or for learning games. We don't know this kids situation but he may have been allowed to take his own personal ipad to school to occupy his time.
>>
>>244690
>We also kept the retards in their own classrooms away from normal kids, and LD kids had special time throughout the day to go to dumb-dumb classes to learn all about how not to be an asshole.
Somehow you managed to escape all that though I see.
>>
>>244873
and you were his accomplice :)
>>
>>244246
Was this teacher a woman? For some reason reading it made me feel like it was a female teacher.
>>
>>244875
The teacher is a woman according to the linked article.
>>
>>244876
Fucking knew it
>>
>>244876
oh ok. i actually hit a teacher once in school, it was actually quite common for teachers to get hit by students
>>
Nobody hit a teacher when I was in school. I don't know what kind of shitty schools you all went to, where there is groups of kids beating up teachers.
>>
>>244570
the parents get free state funded babysitting. My wife works in the school system and it's obvious a lot of the parents don't parent.
>>
>>244897
You're right; kids don't usually beat up teachers. Kids are often immature brats, though, so you shouldn't be spending so much time blaming them as you have to be making sure they learn better. Suing the kid('s parents) for something there are other ways of handling is fucking extreme.
>>
>>244780
Hit those in control, get hit back even harder as punishment. It's that simple.

page took 0.0126 seconds to execute