Archives: [f] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [news / qst] [trash] Boards: [meta]
/b/stats 2.0: beta edition
since 27 Jan 2013
Please send questions/comments/spam/death threats/love letters to webmaster (at) b-stats.org
All times EST/EDT
Active development is on GitHub

Thread #240308
View on 4chan

Replies 125 (125)
Image Replies 0 (0)
Lifetime 20d 10h 42m 27s
Deleted Posts 0
nintchdbpict000390256304.jpg (61 KB, 650x488, 1522009018347.jpgiqdb google reposts full
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/03/08/a-young-rugby-player-ate-a-slug-on-a-mates-dare-now-hes-paralyzed/?utm_term=.5a5bdf76f93b
>Sam Ballard swallowed the slug on a dare.

>Ballard, a young rugby player from Sydney, was a “larrikin” — a “rough-and-tumble” free-spirit, his mother said. So when the creature crawled across a table at a party in 2010 and his buddies dared him to eat it, her son accepted the challenge, she said.

>“Twenty-year-old boys, red wine, alcohol, sitting at some mate’s table — a slug goes onto the table, someone banters about a dare,” Katie Ballard told 7 News Sydney in an interview the following year.

>“Boys will be boys,” she told the station.

>The mate’s dare may have been innocent enough.

>But after swallowing the slug, Ballard contracted a rat lungworm — a parasitic worm (Angiostrongylus cantonensis) that lives in rodents and can be passed onto snails and slugs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Those gastropods can then transmit the worm to humans.

>In an unusual and tragic turn, the parasite infested Ballard’s brain — putting him into a coma for 420 days and leaving him paralyzed, according to News.com.au.

>“It’s devastated, changed his life forever, changed my life forever,” his mother told 7 News Sydney in 2011. “It’s huge. The impact is huge.”

>Ballard, whose mother said he once seemed “invincible,” is now a 28-year-old quadriplegic. He suffers from seizures, eats and breathes through tubes, and requires constant care, which the family is struggling to pay for, according to the Daily Telegraph.

>The Australian newspaper reported that the family applied for a major disability package, worth about $383,000, under Australia’s National Disability Insurance Scheme in 2016.
>>
>>240308
>Ballard, whose mother said he once seemed “invincible,” is now a 28-year-old quadriplegic. He suffers from seizures, eats and breathes through tubes, and requires constant care, which the family is struggling to pay for, according to the Daily Telegraph.

>The Australian newspaper reported that the family applied for a major disability package, worth about $383,000, under Australia’s National Disability Insurance Scheme in 2016.

>But the government has cut Ballard’s allowance by more than 60 percent, according to the Daily Telegraph.

>A National Disability Insurance Scheme spokeswoman told News Corp that it “has been working closely with the Ballard family” and that a resolution is “imminent.”

>In 2011, Katie Ballard wrote on Facebook that her son was “still the same cheeeeeeeekkkyyy Sam” and that she believed he would talk and walk again.
>>
Darwin was right
>>
People are idiots put simply. Not sure where something's been? Don't be stupid, and just don't touch it.
>>
>>240308
>putting him into a coma for 420 days
The universe is giggling
>>
>>240308
BAN HIGH CAPACITY ASSULT SLUGS
>>
>Slugs revenge
>>
>touching unknown gastropods on a continent where everything is trying to kill you
>>
>>240308
>It's changed his life forever
You don't say?
>>
What a retard, just euthanize him and call it a day.
>>
Fucking australia
what doesnt kill you,
makes you ponder.
>>
I want to upload a reaction image of a Dragonball Z movie but I can't FAGGOTS this is what 4chan was made for
>>
>>240385
Blame foreign moot
>>
>>240308
>my son is brain damaged
>ma'am what do you think about that
>...
>XD boys will be boys XDDDDD
Fuck Australia
>>
>>240313
>>240318
>Darwin
>Not sure where something's been? ... don't touch it.

Because that's how evolution and improvement works best: never try anything new or take any risks or face and learn from the reality of negative consequences ever.

I do should be an effort to unify lifehacks & science into a modern common-sense guidebook of everyday risks -- what common berries and plants are poisonous, what the risk % of consuming ___ raw is, and what things that you might encounter every day should absolutely not be done -- but that's different from freaking out, buying emetics and antiparisitics, and banning outdoor playtime forever every time your kid eats an ant (which they will).
>>
>>240385
>>240391
newfags, /news/ is a text board. go take your worthless image macros to the designated shitposting boards. we're meant to have discussion here
>>
>>240413
You do realize that we don't need to constantly have dumbasses eating parasites to realize that they probably shouldn't be doing that, right? Trying new things is great, but there is a universal wisdom in not eating things that you don't know are safe. All things in moderation.
>>
>>infested Ballard’s brain
lol typical 3rd world white trash...eat any kind of filth
>>
>freak accident happens
>HAHA what a retard he deserved it for being so stupid
You might as well give Darwin awards to people hit by lightning for not having checked the weather forecast.
>>
>>240443
If they run around with a 10 foot tall metal rod, then yes. Because that is equivalent to the stupidity of eating a slug on a dare.
>>
>>240450
maybe you know more about the danger's of eating slugs than I do, but I always assumed the stupidity of eating a slug was just that it was gross and dumb, not that it would fucking paralyze someone.
>>
>>240453
It's not so much that you would assume they would paralyze you, but that at the age of 20 a person shouldn't be eating slugs on a dare since it could be dangerous. If it were a child under 10, I could see this being an unfortunate incident as they likely wouldn't know any better, but by 20 they should have a bit more sense to know that eating strange things can have pretty negative consequences. But who knows, maybe he had a penchant for eating slugs and this was just one too far for ol' cheeky Sam
>>
>>240455
I don't think the average 20 year old considers eating a normal garden slug to be that dangerous, and I think you're being completely unreasonable here and too overeager to shit on a guy for doing a dumb thing that just happened to have an extremely unlikely bad outcome.

I mean if you drive a car you do a more statistically dangerous thing than this kid as part of your every day life, even if you follow traffic safety to a tee.
>>
Should have been a slug shotgun instead.
>>
>>240458
>I don't think the average 20 year old considers eating a normal garden slug to be that dangerous,
I don't consider myself a genius, and I learned what germs are when I was a toddler. I washed my hands even after touching animals. Are you sure you aren't just associating with a morons?
>>
Of course it's fucking Australia.
>>
>>240413
>reads "dont eat random shit just because"
>transforms it into "never do anything ever"

Holy shit, you're retarded. For someone pretending to be analytical and intellectual, you have certainly demonstrated either a total misunderstanding or ignorance of both concepts.
>>
>>240419
>we're meant to have a discussion here
Is this your first day on /news/? Nothing gets discussed here, only baseless political shitflinging.
>>
I remember one episode of Monsters Inside Me, where some former army vet ate a live slug on camera for a game show so she could get more screen time. Contracted rat lungworm like the guy in the OP story, went into a coma, and and wound up paralyzed from the waist down and no longer has proper bowel or bladder function.

If there is any animal that you must ALWAYS fully cook before eating, it is a snail or slug. They are teeming with parasites.
>>
>>240413
pretty sure that 'evolved man' has already learned how to cook food, a practice which prevents exactly this sort of thing and kid chose not to do it.
nature selected against him naturally, or he naturally selected him self out of nature.
something like that
>>
>>240368
This specific thing can happen anywhere, it’s been spread all over the world. Folks, always be sure to thoroughly cook your snails and slugs before consumption.
>>
>>240455
You sound like a boring cunt. Probably wouldn't even eat an earthworm on a bet, what a loser.
>>
>>240413
We've reached the fulcrum where we now have enough knowledge to know you don't eat infected slugs because they might destroy your body like this example. Risk was something we needed to develop to the point where we get to know better
>>
>>240466
Most germs just get you sick, not permanently disable you. Plus, you're forgetting the kid was tipsy/drunk. Are you sure you aren't being way too judgemental over what should have been a completely innocuous spot of stupidity?
>>
>>240516
You say that like it's a bad thing. Maybe someday you will grow up and stop giving into peer pressure
>>
>>240517
>they might destroy your body like this example. Risk was something we needed to develop
Well what is the risk of a parasite that can cause permanent damage, versus an inconvenient parasite, versus a parasite the body can handle, for eating a given raw wild animal? 1%? .01%? .0001%? .000001%? At what point is the risk so minimal that the risk of getting in a car is greater, and the reward of congrats from your friends is greater than the reward of getting to the grocery 10 minutes faster by car than by bus?

This is why I don't give a fuck when people say not to eat raw eggs and flour, even daily (which I don't, but still, do the math) -- the risk is so minimal versus the reward of cake batter. That's why again I'd like to see a consolidated lifehack chart or book of everyday risks, similar to the charts xkcd does, but both slightly deeper broader in scope.
>>
I don't get why 'mate' is in quotes. Like, it's not like his friend wanted him to become infected with a brain-eating parasite. The dude probably feels awful.
>>
>>240547
just because the risk might be statistically lower doesn't mean you don't run that risk of tempting it.
The point is we know the risks of doing stuff we didn't when we were still tribes or just figuring how to power steam trains. It's that simple. We are as a whole more enlightened to avoid the things we weren't aware could kill us before.

So while what happened to that guy is horrible, he really should have known eating tainted slugs was probably not the best thing to do. I mean if someone pissed in a pint glass and dared you drink it, would you do it knowing there's a very low chance you could catch an std from it?
>>
>>240553
>he really should have known
Why? Is people being paralyzed from eating slugs a common thing?

>I mean if someone pissed in a pint glass and dared you drink it, would you do it knowing there's a very low chance you could catch an std from it?
If I was so fucking drunk I would actually seriously consider that bet in the first place, then I would probably be too drunk to properly assess all the risks.

You know, kind of like this kid. But fuck him right, he should have known this absurdly unlikely outcome would have happened. As if you would have considered it yourself if you were there that something like that might have happened.
>>
>>240568
>Why? Is people being paralyzed from eating slugs a common thing?
Kinda. People know not to eat unwashed salad and not to eat raw snails, even if they don’t know why. Most of the time this infection is asymptomatic or is chalked up to a bout of food poisoning and resolves without treatment. It’s only if the parasite gets into the nervous system that shit gets bad.
>>
>>240553
>just because the risk might be statistically lower doesn't mean you don't run that risk of tempting it.
Give this man a Fields Medal.
>I mean if someone pissed in a pint glass and dared you drink it, would you do it knowing there's a very low chance you could catch an std from it?
There is a nonzero chance you could catch an std from drinking from any glass anywhere, with or without piss. That's the whole fucking point of talking about statistics and risk in the first place.
>>
>>240308

FUCK YES!! I FUCKING LOVE EVOLUTION!!!
>>
>>240547
Well what's the reward for eating a fucking slug?
>>
>>240589
Adulation from friends. It's not much, but it's a reward we do things for all the time, and if the risk of eating a slug was, besides the "gross factor" (which was all the friends assumed) a chance of getting sick that is say one-in-10million, then you might hear a story of someone in the world getting sick from a slug once every few decades -- that's less risk than most other shit we do for adulation from friends, such as say chugging a single beer.
>>
>>240623
>oh shit, if I don't eat this slug my friends will think I'm a loser
>oh shit, now all my friends only refer to me as the guy who ate the slug
>oh shit, I am now literally retarded due to a parasite
Even without the last part, I can't see how the short term gain is worth the fact that everyone can hold you eating a slug over your head.
>>
>>240428
When you have a fully functional immune system, you need not worry about contracting meningitis from micro organisms, many people have done what he did and didn't get sick, but the easily mislead will just go along with whatever the narrative told them and ask no questions.
It's the result of having a compromised immune system from a bad diet combined with vaccination.
>>
>>240671

http://susandoreydesigns.com/insights/pasteur-recant.html
>>
>>240636
Gee it's almost like being intoxicated impairs your sense of judgement.
>>
>>240636
Gee, it's almost as if you don't have any male friends
>>
>>240671
>compromised immune system
>from vaccination
>which works by stimulating your immune system
>>
>>240686
Are you so weak willed and boring that you have to resort to side show acts in order to impress your friends? Just tell them to fuck off and if they stop wanting to be friends over your unwillingness to eat a slug they weren't really your friends to begin with.

>>240679
I've been drunk before and never once have I wanted to eat a slug. Then again I can handle my liquor and don't binge drink until I blackout
>>
>>240455
If it was a five year old you would be calling him a dumb cunt and muh darwin award.
Don't act like you have moral standards or empathy
>>
How can you be 20 years old and not not most gastropods can contain quite deadly parasites

We educate the youth for a reason, so you don't die
>>
>>240701
Damn right. Impulsiveness and a lack of restraint are the death of so many impressionable idiots. I feel bad for him, his mates will soon move on with their lives but he'll still be paralysed because he didn't use his brain before he took action.
>>
>>240671
conflating meningitis with brain parasites doesn't put you in a good light, though
it's quite frequent of parasites to just fuck us over, whatever immunity you have (see also: trypanosoma, plasmodium, leishmania, toxoplasma, but also macroscopic ones like tapeworms & flukes... hell, even crabs or lice - we just plain suck at fighting all those)
the only way to deal with them is avoiding infestation to begin with
>>
>>240734
>How can you be 20 years old and not not most gastropods can contain quite deadly parasites
Easily.

I don't know about you but no one ever taught me anything about gastropod parasites.
>>
>>240308
he looks like he's ''seen things'' while tripping off parasite chemicals entering his brain
>>
>>240701
>my worthless anecdote successfully disproves the biological fact that alcohol negatively affects your decision making ability.

>>240734
There's a difference between knowing something, and being able to recall and utilize that knowledge in every situation it might be relevant.
>>
>>240501
Yeah I love escargots but no more for me thanks.
>>
>>240790
>doesn't understand you can attenuate how alcohol effects you by drinking less
You do realize you don't get piss drunk off a single beer, right? Even still, unless you have direct evidence of how many drunk people many will eat a slug, your assertion is as baseless as my refutation.
>>
>>240413
>duuude lemme eat this slug maybe itll give me powers and then we all eat slugs and evolve n shiet
>>
Funniest thing I've read today. Thanks OP.
>>
>found little snail on my salad leaves yesterday just before i was going to take a bite
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>240896
Wew, you almost became retarded for real instead of just people calling you that online!
>>
>>240811
I'm glad you recognize your shitpost is worthless, but no it is not my assertion that inebriation retards your risk assessment, that's the scientific consensus of the medical community.

I seriously have no clue why you're being such a staunch contrarian faggot over something you have zero ground whatsoever to be contesting. Is being insufferable just i your blood? Maybe you should get checked for brain parasites.
>>
>for 420 days
nice
>>
>>240938
boy am i glad anon, am i glad!!
i put it on thay salad leaf it was on and put it in the grass, our ways parted forever.
>>
Great, now I'm paranoid. Maybe I should just start autoclaving all my food.
>>
>>240734
I didnt know this until you said it
Why the fuck would I, I rarely see slugs and when I do I just know it's fun to pour salt on them
>>
How awful. Hopefully lots of people see this so they don't try it themselves.
>>
>>240998
>is being insufferable in you blood
Do you even know where you are?
>>
>>240466
You gay and autistic by any chance?
>>
>>240764
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meningitis#Parasitic
Not trying to be a smartass, I didn't know until I looked it up.
>>
>>241578
And the rest of the page indicates that it can be pretty much a result of any fucking thing, including fungi. The original comparison was terrible.
>>
>buy some strawberries, store in freezer b/c sweet and mushy after freeze/thaw
>freeze
>want to eat, leave them on the kitchen counter to thaw.
>forget about them, counter is a mess, don't recognize all week that they're sitting there
>clean kitchen the following weekend, find strawberries
>nice and mushy from being thawed, want to eat
>eat some
>notice white specks on some of them (pinhead-size)
>eat some more
>nice and mushy
>notice a slightly larger white speck (fingernail size)
>it is mold
>pauses
"I wonder if eating this will make me sick."
>eats
>sweet and mushy
>finishes off strawberries
"If I get, I'll know that it was these"
this was yesterday.
so far no symptoms
>>
>>242934
Enjoy death
>>
>>240308
This is rich, struck down by rat lungworm from a raw slug, and now he's an invalid.
He shouldn't have ate the fucking thing, they are almost always infested with something dangerous.
It just takes one little mistake, something minor, even getting lake water in your nose or mouth can have a chance of infecting you with something horrible like a brain-eating amoeba.
>>
>>242934
White mold usually doesn't cause bad problems, fruit in particular would only cause something like diarrhea or food poisoning.
Meat, dairy, and seafood are the particular scary ones for getting mold, the ones you should definitely avoid.
Although, having diarrhea isn't exactly a good thing either.
>>
convict descendant gets life sentence. fitting.
>>
>>240308
>Ballard, whose mother said he once seemed “invincible,” is now a 28-year-old quadriplegic. He suffers from seizures, eats and breathes through tubes, and requires constant care

Just pull the plug, that's no way to live.
>>
>>243020
but but but
we might have the technology to heal him

in 70 years
honest

pleaz gib moneyz
>>
As an American, I'm impressed she isn't suing somebody. Warms my heart.
>>
>>243113
More hilarity would ensure, seeing as he voluntarily ate the slug under the influence of alcohol.
>>
>"Wow, darwinism at work! He should've known better!"
wow yeah a lot of fucking slug experts in here, how would the average cunt know that eating a slug would do anything to you besides maybe throwing up? most of you act like you knew something like that was even a possibility, it's pretty pathetic tbqh senpaitachi.
>>
>into a coma for 420 days
ayyy yoooo
>>
>>243253

Whoa whoa whoa.. calm down, Spazz.

>though BC has tons of banana slugs, DON'T eat them or the snails raw
One of the first things taught during a survival course while in fucking cub scouts when I was 12.
>>
>>243327
australia doesnt have 'cub scouts' run by pedophile weirdos, sorry ameriblob
>>
>>243253
>most of you act like you knew something like that was even a possibility
Of course it is. He lives in a region with animals that hold dangerous parasites.

I mean, I live in an area with rattlesnakes. I know they're dangerous because people have told me they were deadly horrible shit since the day I was born. How did nobody pull this idiot aside and say "hey, see the slugs? Bad shit, don't touch them". And then he SWALLOWS one?
>>
>>243329
>Being this afraid of slugs
>Comparing slugs to rattlesnakes
Sheltered much?
>>
>>243330
>t. quadriplegic
>>
>>240455
>>240458
I thought everyone knew slugs were really fucking dangerous, moreso than other bugs.
>>
>>243332
generally speaking, assuming others know what you know is a sign of autism
>>
>>243333
I mean, I guess it was just one of those "common knowledge" things, like how you shouldn't run with scissors, or not to eat mentos with coke, don't fuck with slugs, etc..
>>
>>240308
he looks like hes seen some shit while tripping on slugs
>>
>>243333
Thinking it's ok to eat slugs from the ground is def a sign of autism
>>
>>240308
If you need it spelled out, cook wild slugs before eating and at home, get your slugs from a trusted source. Slugs are ridiculously good to eat, but you have to be careful.
>>
>>240308
>putting him into a coma for 420 days and leaving him paralyzed
>420
ayy lmao
>>
>>240308
Not sure why this keeps getting bumped, but every time I see it, I keep thinking he took a dare to get shot in the face.

Must be one of Dick Cheney's friends.
>>
>>240308
He's stuck worse than my home boy
>>
>>243113
She isn't suing anyone but she's fighting with the government because they're cutting his medical benefits and she wants to keep them.
>>
>>240308
Poor kid man.
>>
>>240308
>vorefags
Also
>My son crippled himself, the taxpayers should support him now
The slug was worth more to the world than this leech
>>
>>243467
>My son crippled himself, the taxpayers should support him now
You agree smokers and drinkers should get zero benefits from NHS for lung and liver cancers then?
>>
>>240522
>Are you sure you aren't being way too judgemental over what should have been a completely innocuous spot of stupidity?
>Too judgemental
>of stupidity
Anon, I am the person you replied to but I must say...you are silly bitch. You can NEVER be too judgemental of stupidity. Ignorance, yes, but not stupidity. This twenty-year old jackass swallowed a slug out of raw stupidity over a elementary-grade dare and payed the price for his stupidity. Have pity but not empathy for such raw foolishness.
>>
>>243516
Anon, I am not* the person you replied to.
>>
He played Rugby. He was going to get brain damage one way or another
>>
>>243516
>ignorance is ok stupidity is not
>he didn't know slugs carry dangerous parasites
>how stupid
>>
>>243497
Not him, but that's a faulty comparison because there are other causes for those besides smoking / drinking. You can smoke, and get no cancer; conversely you could smoke, and get that cancer but legitimately due to a different cause.

My answer would still be "no, they should not get funds due to engaging in a long term behavior that they were warned about repeatedly would possibly result in this specific outcome."
Since you said NHS, I'm assuming it's a country where the cartons are full of those warning messages.
>>
>>243572
Ignorance is not knowing slugs can carry parasites.
Stupidity is doing something because of a dare.
Stupidity is eating something you're not supposed to.
2 parts stupid, 1 part ignorant, 1 part unlucky.
>>
>>240694
Vaccines sure "stimulate your immune system" alright, a mega dose of heavy metals and other toxins, combined with several strains of pathogen all shot into you at once, causing the body to go into shock trying to fight off everything, leaving your immune system permanently damaged from the unnatural overworking.
But that's enough spoonfed info, there's countless pieces of evidence available on how pseudo-scientific the principles of 'vaccination' truly are, pointless to debate this with people that don't even do their own research.
>>
>>243578
Before vaccinations: millions of people die or are permanently disabled from communicable diseases.
After vaccinations: These diseases are so rare that dipshit people think the diseases don't exist anymore.

And then we have this retard: hur dur, vaccinations are killing you, its the shot causing you to get sick. It isn't that you're 30 years older now and your immune system is weaker because of your age. No, clearly its because you got a bunch of shots.

Ironically neck yourself. Or go on vacation to Pakistan and get a nice case of polio, tard.
>>
>>243575
do you have any friends?
>>
Ironic, to be turned into a vegetable by a slug.
>>
>>240419
>he thinks THIS is a text board
>he thinks this is /news/

my friend, you might be talking to newfags, but you you'reslef qre newer than efven the neweset of news.
>>
>>243758
The natural cycle is clearly visible. The one slug sacrificed itself so its brethren would obtain a large source of sustenance.
>>
>>243856
this proves that asstralians, being descendants of criminals & perverts, are mostly retarded abbos
>>
>>240381
This, what a horrible fate. I really should get a will made.
>>
"Boys will be boys"
Someone pass me a slug
>>
>>240409
kek
>>
>>240308
>a coma for 420 days
yes god damn hell yeah
>>
>>244039
top kek
>>
>when being an absolute madman goes wrong..
>>
>>241001
based
>>
>>243578
Or it could be all the other chemical shit we put in our bodies in the form of food every day.
It's not vaccines, people are just looking for something to blame who have never taken an immunology, or even the most basic biology course in their life.
>>
ITT: people who are too fucking pussy to down a slug.
Man up, being paralyzed is better than being a little bitch. The dude is probably a pussy-magnet now.
>>
>>240308
The real sad story here is that the government is still paying for this fool to keep on living.

People don't pay taxes just so it can be spent on one literal braindead person.

page took 0.0314 seconds to execute